[Sidefx-houdini-list] Shelf Question

rmagee at sidefx.com rmagee at sidefx.com
Sat Nov 15 23:47:07 EST 2008

> For example I built some time ago a tool for the shelf which change the
> default dopnetwork for simulations. All the tools from the shelf use a
> default network, usually  defined as Audodop network, good design but poor
> implementation because somebody forgot to allows the users to change this
> default network in an easy way.

There is actually a workflow to do this which is already supported by the
shelf tools. If you do not have a dopnetwork in your scene and you start
using the tools then the Autodopnetwork is created. If you add more than
one dopnetwork into the scene then you can RMB-click on the brain icon in
the lower status bar and choose the dopnet from the "Current Simulation
>..." menu item.

The dynamics tools are designed to use the dopnet chosen from this menu
and you can change back and forth as you work. Note that when you use for
instance the RBD Object tool from the shelf and you are using the
autodopnetwork then a gravity force will be added to move things along. If
you choose a custom dopnet then the gravity will NOT be added and you will
need to use the gravity tool on the Drive simulation shelf. The assumption
is that if you are using a custom dopnet then you will want to add these
things yourself.

Robert