[Sidefx-houdini-list] Shelf Question

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Sat Nov 15 14:37:58 EST 2008

On Saturday 15 November 2008 14:09, Andy Nicholas wrote:
> I dunno, what do you guys think? I'm very interested to hear if I'm just
> being closed minded on this. Does anyone use the shelves all the time
> during a job? If so, what for?

	From my perspective, the shelf does what you want it to do.  It comes stuffed
with a bunch of tools, some of which are trivial, like Create Line, others
which are more sophisticated.  It can be used any way you want.  If I've been
spending a long time laboriously building a DOPnet by hand, clicking
on 'Ground' wouldn't be formost in my mind.  What 'Ground' is there for is to
let you throw together a working prototype very quickly, or if you're
learning houdini, it helps to 'follow the rules' a little closer instead of
requiring a mountain of reading.

	I see them as win/win.  I've always had a hard time seeing anything remotely
bad about them since if you don't want to use them, then you just stow it
away.  You can add your own stuff, working the way you want to.  Me, I use
them all the time.  Fast desktop switching alone makes them worth it for me.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada