[Sidefx-houdini-list] Shelf Question

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 11:57:21 EST 2008

2008/11/15 Francois-Xavier Boussard <b.fx at free.fr>

> Hi Pablo,
>
> I totally agree with you, the shelf tools needs more care. That was the
> meaning of my answer. It is possible to have great tools with it. It is so
> flexible. It need more doc !

Yes it seems to be a very early implementation, also it needs more stuff in
the python side, curently many things to deal with the ui are very
cimplicated, i know that sesi is working in this side, but the overall
architecture and how tool are integrated in the rest of the package is
really good.
The other problem i found is the duplicate stuff between pure operators,
liek in the old houdini and the new shelf tools.
In my opinion the TAB in the viewport will need to contain primary tools
form the shelf, basically the old operator in houdini but with a wrapper in
python to make all the things needed to interact with the user, the tool
launched from the viewport are sippose to be interactive. isn't it?
You can also have a seconday menu that give yo access to the operators, now
is the opposite the TAB menu in the viewport give more preference to the
operators and you need to open a secundary menu to get access to the tool
from the shelf.
For instance with extrusion, is more easier to access to the old extrussion
node, when is suppose the is more flexible to access to the extrussion tool
which can make many thngs in python to make easier to apply the extrussion.
In the network TAB cos is suppose that working from the netwrok is not an
interactive action, you put you operator but not interact with it from the
viewport is better to keep the current state.
But having a strong toolset from the shelf with an easy access from the TAB
menu can make possible for example to design a strong modelling workflow in
Houdini.
Anyway I think that SESI is concerned about this and the current state is
the typical situation of a tansition between two different ways of working,
placing pure operators that only apply th operation or having wrappers to
thei operators which helps the users to apply them.
cheers

> wrong thread before, sorry for that.
> francois

Un saludo