[Sidefx-houdini-list] Shelf Question

Francois-Xavier Boussard b.fx at free.fr
Fri Nov 14 06:59:43 EST 2008

Hello,

Not very clear for me what is the standard behaviour for the shelf python scripted tools. I guess the main reason is you can use those script from everywhere, shelf or tab menu... and that is really great.

For example, creating a  SOP rop with the 'generictool' function will create the node without any Ctrl click or viewer click as long as there is an active sop network panel.
The same code for a file sop node, no way to avoid the viewer or Ctrl click. (i don't need to position a file sop in the viewer, did i ?)
I tryed 'genericSopNodeGeneratorTool' that get a prompt option. It don't seems to be for that purpose ?

# rop SOP node
import soptoolutils
soptoolutils.genericTool(kwargs, 'rop_geometry')

# file SOP node
import soptoolutils
soptoolutils.genericTool(kwargs, 'file')

# file SOP node created from genericSopNodeGeneratorTool
import soptoolutils
soptoolutils.genericSopNodeGeneratorTool(kwargs,'file', 'File', prompt='None')

Is there a way to achieve node creation in a network pane, no viewer click or Ctrl click? Maybe one click in a right type network pane ? It is tedious when creating a full network. The turn around i have is to get the path for the network from first node created and then use the python node creation hou.node().createdNode(). But i guess i miss something...

francois