[Sidefx-houdini-list] UV mapping fluids

Van Aarde nanocell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 08:38:02 EST 2008

Hi Andy,

I haven't actually tried to implement this but I came across a paper from
SIGGRAPH 2006 titled "Texture synthesis method for liquid animation" (
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/b-cam/Papers/Bargteil-2006-ATS/) which pretty
much textures a liquid. Looks cool though :)

Instead of using the birth UV coordinates, try using the actual position
(object space or world space, whichever works for you) of the particles and
pass that to a procedural bubble shader. Although, you'll probably have to
manually interpolate the particle birth positions. You can also read up on
how Surfs Up's interactive foam (
http://surfsup.awn.com/?type=article&artID=12). They don't say too much but
it should give you a couple of ideas.

CheerZ,
Van Aarde.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Andy Nicholas <andy at andynicholas.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Not an urgent one this as I don't think I'll be needing it, but just
> wanted to ask out of curiosity. Has anyone ever attempted to texture a
> fluid? Either for a fluid generated inside Houdini, or imported particles
> from Realflow?
>
> I tried a few things like applying UVs to the particles based on lateral
> position (U) and age (V)  at birth, and then relying on the particle fluid
> surfacer to interpolate onto the mesh. All the things I tried though ended
> up with a hell of a lot of pinching going on. As you'd expect, this was
> especially noticeable when older particles interacted with younger ones.
>
> For example, how would you approach a task of applying a foamy bubble
> procedural texture to a fluid sim? Has anyone found any tricks for doing
> this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

Van Aarde Krynauw