[Sidefx-houdini-list] UV mapping fluids

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Mon Nov 10 07:56:05 EST 2008

Hi guys,

Not an urgent one this as I don't think I'll be needing it, but just
wanted to ask out of curiosity. Has anyone ever attempted to texture a
fluid? Either for a fluid generated inside Houdini, or imported particles
from Realflow?

I tried a few things like applying UVs to the particles based on lateral
position (U) and age (V)  at birth, and then relying on the particle fluid
surfacer to interpolate onto the mesh. All the things I tried though ended
up with a hell of a lot of pinching going on. As you'd expect, this was
especially noticeable when older particles interacted with younger ones.

For example, how would you approach a task of applying a foamy bubble
procedural texture to a fluid sim? Has anyone found any tricks for doing
this?

Cheers

Andy