[Sidefx-houdini-list] CHOP HDK Question

Chip Collier photex at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 11:42:19 EST 2008

Hi all,

Wrote my first OP yesterday and today I am trying to make it behave. :)
The CHOP is a client for OpenSoundControl packets sent over UDP and at
the moment I only bother to get one channel working before I try to
expand support. Which I figured would be pretty easy. (ha!!)

What I'm curious about is how to have instantaneous feedback. At the
moment I can send however many packets I want but unless I adjust a
parameter or toggle activation I don't see a change in the value.

Looking at the samples, the Puppet CHOP uses CHOP_RealtimeGenerator as
a base but the CHOP_FifthGlove doesn't so I'm not sure if that's a
requirement for what I'm looking for.

If I modify my offset parameter, I see the graph update, and when I
pass it through a record CHOP I get exactly what I expect but I won't
see the influence of the value I'm getting from the network until I
deactivate the CHOP or otherwise manipulate the OP which I assume
forces a recook.

Currently I'm running a packet listener in another thread that
analyzes any UDP packets to see if they match the OSC address
requested and take whatever value was sent. Do I need to manually
invoke cookMyChop or somehow let Houdini know I've got new data?

Another question is whether it's even worth threading out the network
code and only check for data during a cook?  I wasn't sure of a more
reliable way to not miss packets and also not block Houdini.

Cheers,
Chip