[Sidefx-houdini-list] bundles or groups

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Tue Nov 4 08:18:00 EST 2008

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 03:58, Nicholas Pliatsikas wrote:
> Its quite odd as the functionality of groups is there in the bundles
> hscript commands. Its just a real shame that its not quite implemented in
> the ui the same way. It also adds some confusion to how it all works
> together, the fact that people need to ask which to use is a good enough
> incentive to clean this up. Especailly how they do basically the same
> thing, creates "easily" accessable sets of nodes.

	Well, I know that SESI is faced with an issue of backwards compatibility - to
just make groups go away is a non-starter, this includes all the nicieties
like Shift-G and a tidy, self-contained group area.  Old hips can't bust.
This makes is harder to precisely duplicate their behaviour without that
confusing overlap.  Having said that, there's a solution for everything, it
just takes time to implement.  One solution could be picking a release and
saying 'groups are gone, but on loading older hips Houdini will convert them
to bundles', but that *really* needs to carry over groups GUI.  I find the
bundles GUI lacking in some things and overdone in others.  Speed should be
the priority.  The good thing is that there's already a confusing overlap
with @mygroupbundlename having the same syntax - that could be a boon should
this ever be implemented.

/pet peeve ON

	I really hope the speed of usage thing is kept in mind, though.  We've been
hit with a lot of changes in H9 that significantly slow down the GUI(managing
parameters for obscure features over and over, RMB undo aieee!), we don't
need more.  More features are good, but implementing them so the user can
manage less if desired is critical.

/pet peeve OFF

	Cheers,

	J.C.