[Sidefx-houdini-list] bundles or groups

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Sun Nov 2 01:53:31 EDT 2008

Rangi Sutton wrote:
> Antoine Durr wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    I haven't touched either groups or bundles in a while.  Can
>> anyone  give my a synopsis of the difference between the two, and why
>> I'd  want to use one or the other?
>>

> AFAIK, a group can only hold nodes from the same network, whereas a
> bundle can hold a node from anywhere in you hip tree. Bundles can be
> filtered  (or not!) to contain only certain types of objects.  And...
> there are smart bundles, that can use pattern matching wilds.
>
> I only use groups these days to manage quickly selecting and bypassing
> nodes, ie. as part of the interface. Bundles get used for actual masks.

forgot to mention, if you're just starting out with bundles.. a tip is
to use the settings pull down (in the actual bundle pane) to toggle on
"Set bundle filter based on initial node". So if you throw a geo-object
into the bundle first, it will only accept geo objects from then on.

Later, when you're looking to select the bundle with the pop-up selector
in your rop or something, it'll only list bundles of the correct filter
type.

Until I found toggle I had found setting filter type a PITA ;)

r.