[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mantra/Renderman/Mentalray

Meng-Yang Lu ntmonkey at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 19:02:22 EDT 2008

After cranking out a few projects in MR, I was lucky enough to take a
Shaders/Vex course at SESI .  That was really helpful in understanding
building shaders and rendering using Mantra and VEX.  Like almost everything
in Houdini, you can take apart what's already there to learn, or roll your
own flavor.  I must admit, Mantra is really impressive.  It would appear you
have almost the best of both worlds at your hand, with the small sacrifice
of not having something like mia_material in Mental Ray for simplicity.

I know what app I'm going to be busy with for the remaining of 2008.  Really
great work by the boys and girls at SideFX.

-Lu

Meng Yang Lu
3D Operator
The Mill LA