[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mantra/Renderman/Mentalray

pingo van der brinkloev houdinilist at comxnet.dk
Mon Mar 31 14:19:28 EDT 2008

This is excellent feedback You guys rock.

First of all I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who thinks
Mentalray is an ok render, and would like it implemented more. It's
exactly the OOTB shaders that makes it so easy to work with- then I
can always build on them.
Second. It looks like I'm gonna have to learn Mantra. Also sounds like
it resembles Renderman.
Now unfortunately it's very true that Mantra lacks learning material
(please SESI?). But you say get some material on Renderman?

Any suggestions? Books? DVD's?

- a very good point to sticking to Mantra was also the price of
standalone Mentalray and Renderman licenses. (With all those 8 core
machines popping up they must be having a field day).

Thanks for all the replies. It was very interesting to get your
thoughts on this.

cheers

pingo

It looks like there's a lot of reasons to at least start with Mantra.