[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mantra/Renderman/Mentalray

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 07:04:37 EDT 2008

In my little experience the only problem with Mantra is to get results fast,
you don't have great shaders out of the box.
But when you create the shaders you need is more flexible than renderman or
mentalray, both of them are really good in their areas, MR in  raytracing
RMan in displacements/motion blur deal with a lot of data and flexibility.
Mantra have a good Raytracing, almost as MR in my opinion, I have made a
project at a MentalRay based facility recently and all the shots are water
with reflections and refractions, in HD, and the render times are really
really good, everything rendered in Mantra. People are really surprised
because they don't think that Mantra can do at least as good as MR. And
making shaders we are able to replicate manu of the techniques they used to
use in MR in Mantra, is only a matter of knowing what you want and how
things are working.
And compared with renderman, mantra is really close to it, for me is a like
a renderman made easy, you don't need nothing special to activate raytracing
in objects for example like in renderman.
So taking a global vision of all the features, Mantra is a really good
option and you can use almost all of your knowledge in rendering on it.

2008/3/30, pingo van der brinkloev <houdinilist at comxnet.dk>:

> The short version: I wanna blow up some stuff.
>
> The longer one: I've been using XSI for about 4 years now and I've
> become pretty familiar with the material editor. I do mostly
> photorealistic stuff now, but I'm getting more interested in high end
> fx. I'm quite happy with XSI, I just want to do some more, and I feel
> that I'm hitting a wall with XSI when it comes to dynamics and
> especially particles.
>
> I feel there's a shift in the demand from clients towards... how do I
> put it... "A lot of things doing a lot of things"...? They want their
> cars to be made of flowers, their clothes to move on their own, and 3
> billion people making their logo with colored pieces of paper. On top
> of that it has to look better than real - or like it's all made with
> crayons controlled by sound. (and in the end it all blows up;-).
>
> I'm pretty sure the application to do this, is Houdini. correct me if
> I'm wrong.
>
> So I went to bootcamp and got myself all the books and DVD's and
> started Learning. But the other day I found myself having made
> something in Houdini i wanted to render out and show someone, and I
> was totally disappointed that I just couldn't put an MI architectural
> shader on it all, whack an HDR environment around the scene, turn on
> final gather and render. I realized that of course I can do this in
> Mantra, and it's actually quite easy, but it was all brand new and it
> took me most of the night to figure it out. So at 4 in the morning was
> left with 3 options: 1: Learn Manta. 2: Get Mentalray, which I know,
> working, so i can concentrate on learning all the other features of
> Houdini. Or 3: take the plunge and pick up Renderman, which seems to
> be industry leader.
>
> So I'm quite interested in what people prefer, without getting into
> some application/render war.
>
> cheers!
>
> pingo
>
> On 30/03/2008, at 13.21, Simon Kapeniak wrote:
>
> > Can I ask why you make a switch from XSI? As to your question there
> > gonna be
> > lots of answer here soon so I'll wait ;)
> >
> > 2008/3/30, pingo van der brinkloev <houdinilist at comxnet.dk>:
> >>
> >> Hi. I'm new here in the world of houdini and making the switch from
> >> XSI
> >>
> >> Is anyone using Mental Ray with Houdini? How does it work, compared
> >> XSI (very tightly integrated and node based).
> >> Should I dive onto Renderman instead? it seems to be very integrated.
> >> Is it node based as well?
> >> Or should I just stick to Mantra?
> >>
> >> Like to hear your thoughts on this.
> >>
> >> cheers