[Sidefx-houdini-list] PBR render noise, tips?

Rangi Sutton rangi.sutton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 06:06:17 EDT 2008

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone had some tips on getting PBR to render nicely,
particularly with the noisy grain artifacts?

I have a shader with a reflectlight vop, and a lighting vop. Pretty simple.

The lighting is an environment light with an HDR image, and a large square
area light.

I'm rendering with micro-poly PBR.

atm = At The Moment.. my current settings:

I adjust Pixel Samples (9x9 atm), shading quality on the object, (15atm) ray
shading quality (2atm) color limit (10atm), while the PBR tab on the rop is
all defaults.

Whilst the image quality gets better as I dial up the sampling/dicing,
render time starts to rocket. Right now I'm seeing pixel sized noise, very
filmic, but I'd rather be rid of it.

Is there another setting I should hit as well by any chance? What sort of
order are folks adjusting these settings? Any tips?

Beers,
r.