[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mantra/Renderman/Mentalray

Dan Seddon Dan.Seddon at framestore-cfc.com
Sun Mar 30 09:05:24 EDT 2008

All the renderers you mention are very good. I'd like it if there was more mental ray support in Houdini as there are some really good out of the box shaders in mentral ray that I see the maya guys using pretty much push button (I realise Xsi is probably a lot better here too) - I've yet to see renderman/mantra prove themselves compared to mental ray on heavly raytraced scenes, especially multiple levels of refraction/reflection. However - out of the box shaders, raytracing and ease of use are the main advantages I can see in mentral ray, I think either renderman or mantra are probably better at most other things (openness and ease for developing new shaders, rendering heavy geometry, filtering and motion blur...).

Mantra does a lot of the things renderman does and has very similar architecture - many of the things renderman excels at mantra also excels at. Our company is heavily renderman and we use renderman as opposed to mantra - though I think it's probably easier to move over to houdini using mantra both from an integration point of view and finanically. Pixars renderman is a *very* powerful renderer however with more people developing for it than mantra - the last time I used mantra (an early version of mantra 9) it didn't have many things finished to the same extent as renderman, it was more difficult to get HDR lighting working well for example. This may have changed, but as I say, prman is very well established industry leading product and pretty hard to beat.

Dan