[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mantra/Renderman/Mentalray

Simon Kapeniak szymon.kapeniak at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 09:02:11 EDT 2008

Ok, I got your point. I was just interested in it, since I'm in a similar
position trying to prefigure XSI-Houdini pipeline issues for a while.

I see also that shift in expectations you talk about (this is perhaps the
reason for The Mill got interested in Houdini recently...)

1). Yes, as to my opinion, Houdini is a great companion to XSI (or vice
versa) since they both extends each others possibilities a lot.
2). Yes, Mantra is worth to try and stick to, and in fact you won't see much
difference between PRMan and Mantra as to work flow, need of preparing your
own shaders and such. There is no point for buying PRMan or 3delight once
you get Mantra on board.
3). Yes, Mantra must be familiarized but the same goes for PRMan. Once you
get closer to Mantra you get them both. Why?
4). Unfortunately the only way to know Mantra is reading PRMan books and
papers or study its shaders..! Mantra simple lacks learning materials for no
good reason except maybe the one that SESI feels dismissed from preparing
any  since Mantra shares *almost all concepts with Renderman family. 95% of
PRMan stuff can be done with Mantra (and only 50% of Mantra stuff can be
done in PRMan if you consider Mantra as a hybrid engine not only for
micro-polygon and ray tracing, but also volumetric, physical based rendering
and metropolis transport in a near future).
5). One thing you won't get from mental ray even driven by Houdini is a
genius integration between Mantra and Houdini, which lets you instance any
digital assets with per instance variance of any parameter, ifd filtering
for fine tuning ifds (mantra's ribs) after saving them on disk, render-time
primitives like points, hairs or ribbons, or geometry attributes driven
shaders. All of these goodies are worth to give Mantra a test drive beside
obvious things like image quality, robust motion blur, displacement and
such.

Good luck!
Simon.