[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mantra/Renderman/Mentalray

pingo van der brinkloev houdinilist at comxnet.dk
Sun Mar 30 08:26:05 EDT 2008

The short version: I wanna blow up some stuff.

The longer one: I've been using XSI for about 4 years now and I've
become pretty familiar with the material editor. I do mostly
photorealistic stuff now, but I'm getting more interested in high end
fx. I'm quite happy with XSI, I just want to do some more, and I feel
that I'm hitting a wall with XSI when it comes to dynamics and
especially particles.

I feel there's a shift in the demand from clients towards... how do I
put it... "A lot of things doing a lot of things"...? They want their
cars to be made of flowers, their clothes to move on their own, and 3
billion people making their logo with colored pieces of paper. On top
of that it has to look better than real - or like it's all made with
crayons controlled by sound. (and in the end it all blows up;-).

I'm pretty sure the application to do this, is Houdini. correct me if
I'm wrong.

So I went to bootcamp and got myself all the books and DVD's and
started Learning. But the other day I found myself having made
something in Houdini i wanted to render out and show someone, and I
was totally disappointed that I just couldn't put an MI architectural
shader on it all, whack an HDR environment around the scene, turn on
final gather and render. I realized that of course I can do this in
Mantra, and it's actually quite easy, but it was all brand new and it
took me most of the night to figure it out. So at 4 in the morning was
left with 3 options: 1: Learn Manta. 2: Get Mentalray, which I know,
working, so i can concentrate on learning all the other features of
Houdini. Or 3: take the plunge and pick up Renderman, which seems to
be industry leader.

So I'm quite interested in what people prefer, without getting into
some application/render war.

cheers!

pingo