[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mantra/Renderman/Mentalray

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Sun Mar 30 08:41:06 EDT 2008

We are in the process of preparing a pipeline for a new company that
will use Maya and Houdini. All the lighting and FX will be in Houdini
and one of the main reasons we chose Houdini for all lighting
workstation is because of Mantra. I've used it on an other project and
it's a production proven renderer including point cloud, i3d
(brickmaps), ray tracing, micro-polygons etc.

The great thing about it is that rendering licenses are free. They
suggest to buy around 1 batch license per 5 render machine but it's much
cheaper than MentalRay or RenderMan. The shading language is very
similar to RenderMan.

Bottom line you should at least give it a try and let me know if you
find a major problem to using it in a big production, I'd like to know.

François