[Sidefx-houdini-list] Bridge of Cards 2

Antoine Durr antoine at floqfx.com
Wed Mar 26 21:28:08 EDT 2008

Yeah, a 52-layer shader is not particularly someplace you want to go
to!!!!

Again, here's the underlying concept, which is one of the coolest
things about the Mantra renderer: any parameter of the shader can be
overriden by data (attributes) on the geometry.  And to do this, all
you have to do is match the name (and type and size, actually) of the
shader parameter with the data on the geometry, and it will
override.  E.g. a 3-float vector attribute on the shader, e.g. color,
can be overridden by a 3-float attribute on the geometry.  Just make
sure that they're either 3-floats or vector types.  You can do it for
strings as well.  Add a string attribute to the geometry called
'map' (if that's the string parameter on the shader), and the
geometry's version of 'map' will override.  So now all you have to do
is randomize 'map' accordingly on the geometry.

-- Antoine