[Sidefx-houdini-list] Playback speed - merge SOP vs. footprint flag

Sean Lewkiw seanl at rainmaker.com
Tue Mar 25 05:04:28 EDT 2008

> I was wondering what the difference is between displaying two branches, one
> with the footprint flag and the other with the display flag, and displaying
> the combined output with a Merge SOP. When I display the Merge SOP and play
> the scene, the playback is much slower than displaying one side and
> footprinting the other. I thought it might be forcing all the nodes to cook,
> but even if I lock one side that has no animation, it's still slower.

I imagine it's because one branch of your SOP chain has attributes that
don't exist on the other.  So when you merge them together, the
un-initialized attributes have to be initialized for every frame.  Just
a guess.  Try it with two branches that have no attributes at all and
see if there's a difference.

Sean

--
Sean Lewkiw