[Sidefx-houdini-list] Bridge of Cards

Chandra Maharzan chandra at digital.com.np
Wed Mar 19 10:56:29 EDT 2008

What does this mean?

-----Original Message-----
From: sidefx-houdini-list-bounces at sidefx.com
[mailto:sidefx-houdini-list-bounces at sidefx.com] On Behalf Of Antoine Durr
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:10 AM
To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] Bridge of Cards

On Mar 17, 2008, at 2:15 PM, pingo van der brinkloev wrote:

> ok cool thanks.
>
> I'm not going to mess with any paths:-)
>
> I didn't mean to prevent duplicates. I meant if $NPR goes above 51 and
> I only have jpegs from 0-51 I would be in trouble, right?
>
> or should I use eeh... %51... seen that somewhere.
>
> ack... duplicates... looking fwd to that:-)

It's actually really easy in this case!  *Don't* use any
randomization in the expression, just set the attribcreate to use
$PR.  Now, insert a sort SOP ahead of the attribcreate and randomly
sort the primitives.  You'll use all 52 (you should number the cards
starting from zero anyway), and you'll cycle through the deck again
if you use $PR%52 (reusing cards 0->51).

-- Antoine

> cheers!
>
> pingo
>
> On 17/03/2008, at 21.51, Antoine Durr wrote:
>
>> On Mar 17, 2008, at 1:27 PM, pingo van der brinkloev wrote:
>>
>>> Ok it works. This is totally awesome.
>>>
>>> One thing I don't understand is how you can avoid making the string
>>> the whole path, or at least $HIP/........../card,ètc.etc.
>>
>> In general, all file pointers should be relative to a project root.
>> That way you can move or rename the job, but the pointers still
>> work.  $HIP should work for that.  You could also set the
>> HOUDINI_TEXTURE_PATH environment variable such that it contains the
>> directory with all the images.  I'm not a big fan of that -- I much
>> prefer a filepath that's pretty complete, in case I need to debug
>> something later on, e.g. that Houdini can find the picture but that
>> Mantra can't, or that a particular server can't.
>>

>>> btw if it was a deck of cards should the string then be:
>>> card.`int(fit(rand($PR), 0, 1, 1, 51))`.jpg
>>
>> This won't prevent duplicates -- that's a challenge for another day.
>> Also, the expression above will reduce the likelyhood of getting the
>> last card by almost 100% (because of the int()).  Changing that 51 to
>> 51.99 would help, as int(50.9) is still just 50.
>>
>> -- Antoine
>>

>>> - asuming there's no jokers;-)
>>>
>>> thanks for the help Antoine and Peter!
>>>
>>> pingo