[Sidefx-houdini-list] Bridge of Cards

Antoine Durr antoine at floqfx.com
Mon Mar 17 16:51:40 EDT 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 1:27 PM, pingo van der brinkloev wrote:

> Ok it works. This is totally awesome.
>
> One thing I don't understand is how you can avoid making the string
> the whole path, or at least $HIP/........../card,ètc.etc.

In general, all file pointers should be relative to a project root.
That way you can move or rename the job, but the pointers still
work.  $HIP should work for that.  You could also set the
HOUDINI_TEXTURE_PATH environment variable such that it contains the
directory with all the images.  I'm not a big fan of that -- I much
prefer a filepath that's pretty complete, in case I need to debug
something later on, e.g. that Houdini can find the picture but that
Mantra can't, or that a particular server can't.

> btw if it was a deck of cards should the string then be:
> card.`int(fit(rand($PR), 0, 1, 1, 51))`.jpg

This won't prevent duplicates -- that's a challenge for another day.
Also, the expression above will reduce the likelyhood of getting the
last card by almost 100% (because of the int()).  Changing that 51 to
51.99 would help, as int(50.9) is still just 50.

-- Antoine