[Sidefx-houdini-list] Film at 16 bit

Larry Giunta larry at gcreativestudios.com
Wed Mar 12 19:10:52 EDT 2008

so here's one more question.

When I take my 32 bit float rendered volume light layers into composite,
and plug them into a comp network that was originally worked up with
8 bit renders, the results are vastly different.  The final images
are way
more contrasty  ....... like I threw a composite comp on the end and
type
in 10 and 10 on the high and low end.

I tried to use the limit COPs, but didn't see much difference.

If I drop a convert  COP after all file COPs and convert to 32 bit
integer
with a B+ W point of 0 and 255, then my final comp looks as I expect.

However, am I now canceling out all of the benefit of rendering the
source layers as 32 bit float in the first place??

Is there another white point I should be using for 32 bit integer??

As always, thanks for any thoughts.

Larry