[Sidefx-houdini-list] seg faults on render farm

Sean Lewkiw seanl at rainmaker.com
Mon Mar 10 11:24:46 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm wondering how people are dealing with error trapping on your render
farms.  Since Houdini does not always send out a useful signal with its
failures, we have put together a error trapping script that catches the
output from hscript or mantra, looks it up in a file, and decides if
this is a fatal error or not.  For example, the warning "Unable to load
texture*" will get caught by our error trapping script and then flag
this up as an error by putting out a "ALF_EXIT_STATUS" value of one,
(causing the job to fail in Alfred).

ralf %h  hrender -e -R -f 2 15 -i 1 -d /out/mantra foo.hip |& rnkMinder

This all works fine, except for seg faults.  These seem to come from the
shell, so the error never gets piped into our error trapping script.  We
are now thinking of polling for "status", but I was wondering if there
was already a solution out there.

Sean

--
Sean Lewkiw