[Sidefx-houdini-list] 8 core render hickups

Jed Schwartz jed at jedschwartz.com
Mon Mar 10 10:45:03 EDT 2008

We set up a new 8 core MacPro running ubuntu 7.10 a couple of weeks
ago- The system is blazingly fast and quite wonderful to work on.
The only problem we're having is scattered segmentation fault errors
when rendering-

When rendering from within the package, or rendering a batch of
indexed .ifd files from the command line, once or twice in 100 frames
I'm getting "segmentation fault (core dumped)"  - and the frame does
not render- - Occasionally the render stops, but usually  my script
continues the render without problems-

  When I monitor processes I can see memory is holding up fine (8
megs) and all 8 processors are working away on the frames- It's a
minor irritation to pick up the few missing frames, bit I'm thinking
that I must be missing something in my ROP that's causing this
behavior-?

Anyone have any idea of what's going on-?

Thanks!

Jed-