[Sidefx-houdini-list] Film at 16 bit

Larry Giunta larry at gcreativestudios.com
Fri Mar 7 16:44:19 EST 2008

I was hoping to hit you film guys and gals up for just a bit more
advice about rendering for 2k film.

Just wondering, of the available quantization option on the mantra
output drive,
if there is any one that is considered a "standard"?? .....  or if it
varies widely depending on the shot, production. etc.

I re-read Jeff's old school blog on the subject which makes it pretty
clear that it needs
to be at least 16 bit. I'm just wondering what might be the best
choice to consider.
-16 bit integer
-16 bit float
- 32 bit float

Background on this particular shot we're producing is
1. It will be rendered in mantra, composited and output from COPs
2. There is no live action, not many textures.
3. It's very heavy on volumetric light ( bursts and light beams, that
sort of thing) lot's of blurring etc at the COP level.

While I'm at it, I guess I'll ask about preferred image format. I was
assuming 16 bit tiff, but not sure if that's best

Anyway, sorry if these are somewhat basic questions but would very
much appreciate any thought from those who have
more experience with film.

Thanks as always,

Larry

--