[Sidefx-houdini-list] VOPs question

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Wed Jun 25 03:04:57 EDT 2008

jiversen wrote:
> Ah - it went something like this:

<snip>
> What do you think? Personally I've always just regarded the split
> between Surface and Displacement a necessary evil. I don't think anyone
> wants to work this way, really.
Well... back in renderman days (oh remember them?) I would cheat and
just shove P around in my surface shader anyway because renderman dealt
with it. Probably that was super inefficient but quick to code.

My proverbial arse would get bitten when it came to rendering hold outs
and matte passes. You often want a mechanism to very quickly and simply
swap surface shaders but keep the silhouette, which means keep the
displacement applied.

Now as I type that I think also that often times you want the darstard
surface shader to calculate because it affects the Alpha. I'd add
toggles in the shader to control the final output.

So... 2c to add here... it would be nice to be able to reprogram the
results as a sort of post process... Replace Cf with {0,0,0} and keep
Af, .. or set Af to 1 and Cf to {0,0,0}

Yeah.. then I'd be all for it being consolidated.

ramble ramble ramble...

(of course you probably can do that already with materials... aargh...
hard to keep up!)

r.