[Sidefx-houdini-list] PBR involved commercials?

Abdul-Kareem Abo-Namous anamous at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 12:47:31 EDT 2008

I'm hoping to put together a making of with some details on Mantra
handling. We used both PBR and MPPBR, trading off between speed and
memory usage. Often PBR renders would be limited in thread count (2 or
3) and still be quicker than the same scene in MPPBR with 8 threads.
Also, the decision depended on how much grain was affordable for a
specific shot or element. BTW, PBR in 9.5 seems to be improved both in
speed and memory handling. Still evaluating it...

Also, SESI helped by pointing us in the right direction: often,
rendering an env map and using it with the env light made PBR scream.
We rendered animated env maps with MP + GI Light, and used those as
light sources for the bots. I'll have an example on odforce soon.

Photon generation is currently an issue, at least the way I see it. I
wanted it to speed up the interiour scene which was by far the most
complicated render. However, the normal photon map generation needed
way too much to achieve nice results, and view dependent PM generation
has some sort of memory leak/problem.. so both were out of question. I
ended up simplifying the light setup in the room a lot and rendering
it with PBR+normal photon maps.

I needed caustics in two specific instances, and both times I found
out that using the vm_pbrpathtype parameter was way quicker and nicer
than a photon map - even though SESI doesn't seem to like me using it
:))

cheers,
Abdelkareem