[Sidefx-houdini-list] mids amuck

Dan Schneider eyevex at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 11:47:04 EDT 2008

I have looked through odforce and the last few years of listserve mails relating to houdini and mental ray but have not found an explanation for the behavior I am receiving from mids.  I have only been using mental ray a few months so excuse me if I am missing anything that should be obvious.

I am trying to make Mental Ray shaders we have accessable to maya also accesable from inside houdini.  Part of the task is generating .ds from .mi which I have neen attempting using mids. However, when creating the ds's inside an OTL only about half appear. If they are being generated to a folder, all the .ds file appear.

for example:

looking inside an otl generated by...
mids -l ~/houdini9.1/otls/mrayUIs.otl *.mi
shows ds files created for about haldf the original .mi's

but inside the shop directory created by...
mids -d ~/houdini9.1/shop *.mi
all the .ds files appear in folders as expected.

Any ideas why this behavior or how to work around it?
Anyone run into this before?

-Thanks ahead for any ideas