[Sidefx-houdini-list] bgeo.gz and gzip with windows

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 18:09:05 EDT 2008

2008/6/17 Nicholas Pliatsikas <nick_p102 at hotmail.com>:

> Does anyone know the full benefits of using bgeo.gz? I.e I know the files
> sizes are smaller, meaning less network traffic and uses less space on our
> servers. But would complex setups with geos writing in houdini or delayed
> read archives rendering through mantra require more time to process?
> Just so we can access if its worth looking into this further at the moment.
> Cheers
> Nicholas Pliatsikas

Yes, if you are dealing with big geometry files using gz is really good, but
in my experience bzip2 is really good, I have seen ratios very clos to 1:8
in the size, bgeo is binary so bzip2 works much better on this kind of
files.
I think there is a version of bzip2  for windows.
The only problem I have experienced using compressed files is rendering from
file, but this was on version 8, I don´t know if this have been solved in
version 9.

Un saludo
Best Regards
Pablo Giménez