[Sidefx-houdini-list] bgeo.gz and gzip with windows

Nicholas Pliatsikas nick_p102 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 17 12:24:47 EDT 2008

>Hey Nick, >I think Peter is right about the need of Cygwin. >Unfortunately I was not able to get Cygwin running as a network>installation at Axis, and I wanted to avoid to have it installed>locally. >Also, more importantly, as no one was familiar with Unix command line>at that point apart from me, I didn't want the extra burden of having>a mixed DOS + Unix based backend. I had it on my box and did some>tests, but I decided to rather move those 2-3 Csh based tools needed>in that environment to Python. You could get Cygwin installed, but>expect some extra work because of the DOS based environment setup. >cheers,>Andras

Hey Peter, Andras its been a wee while eh :¬)

Thanks for the feedback. It would probably be easier for us to switch to linux ;¬) I had a chat with our technical manager Peter(at axis) and he has mentioned bringing in Cygwin to give us a better environment to play with. Possibly at the point we can utilize gzip bgeos.

Does anyone know the full benefits of using bgeo.gz? I.e I know the files sizes are smaller, meaning less network traffic and uses less space on our servers. But would complex setups with geos writing in houdini or delayed read archives rendering through mantra require more time to process?
Just so we can access if its worth looking into this further at the moment.
Cheers
Nicholas Pliatsikas