[Sidefx-houdini-list] bgeo.gz and gzip with windows

Andras Ikladi andras.ikladi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 03:23:40 EDT 2008

> As long as the Houdini Csh.exe can execute the programme you should be
> able to use it from within Houdini. Open a Houdini C-shell and try
> typing in the commands. If it's command not found, you likely need to
> modify you path.
>
> Anytime I use Houdini on Windows the first thing I do is install the
> full Cygwin suite, so you have access to all these types of things. Be
> warned that there are subtle differences between Linux commands and
> Cygwin commands, I've been burned a few times by this.

Hey Nick,

I think Peter is right about the need of Cygwin.

Unfortunately I was not able to get Cygwin running as a network
installation at Axis, and I wanted to avoid to have it installed
locally.

Also, more importantly, as no one was familiar with Unix command line
at that point apart from me, I didn't want the extra burden of having
a mixed DOS + Unix based backend. I had it on my box and did some
tests, but I decided to rather move those 2-3 Csh based tools needed
in that environment to Python. You could get Cygwin installed, but
expect some extra work because of the DOS based environment setup.

cheers,
Andras