[Sidefx-houdini-list] Fw: Re: How to select components using Python

Jaideep Khadilkar iamjaideep80 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 09:05:30 EDT 2008

Hi Graham....

Basically what I want to do is, extend the selection options,(ie currently available ... select loop, select next) to more advanced ie. select ring, select next ring etc.
Some of these options are available in Maya and other such s/ws.
So I thought I will see if I can do the same in Houdini. It would make the modeling work flow more flexible in Houdini.
My Algo to do this is:
1. Select some point, edge,poly manually,
2. press button on shelf, which will invoke our custom script.
3. script would take all information from scene, such as currently selected node,
    its geometry,currently selected point,edge or poly
4. using the geometry information, select loop, ring or whatever logic u want  to use. it will give u list of components u want to select
5. select those components in the viewer.

Now this step 5 is what I am struggling with.

Is there any other way to achieve this?

----iamjaideep80
(Jaideep Khadilkar)