[Sidefx-houdini-list] export to maya & mental ray

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 18:13:10 EDT 2008

2008/6/11 Abdelkareem Abonamous <anamous at gmail.com>:

> Hi Jed,
>
> I'm wondering if there is a specific reason for Mental Ray other than
> the obvious experience. I don't want to sound like a sales pitch but
> we as a small studio have been MR users for the longest time now ever
> since we got into Mantra - specially for HD work, and even more once
> you get into licensing..

Yes I am complitelly agree, in my experience Mantra is at least as good as
MR.
Obviously it depends of the knowhow the studio have about mantra compared
with MR, but looking only at technical reasons Mantra is really capable,
even I think that in raytracing is really close and in some areas faster
than MR. And of course is by far more flexible and easy to develope shaders
in Mantra than in MR.

> cheers,
> Abdelkareem
>

> On Jun 11, 2008, at 6:12 PM, Jed Schwartz wrote:
>
> > We're partnering with a couple of other small studios  on a boatload
> > of shots for a lage (for us) HD broadcast project. I have a few cross
> > platform issues to wrangle and hope you guys might be able to offer
> > some insight.
> >
> > A couple of our teams with be using houdini, while another is working
> > exclusively in maya. We're getting really great results importing the
> > maya files into houdini via fbx-
> >
> > Is there a reasonably reliable path for exporting houdini scenes so
> > they can be read into maya- or is this just a one way path?
> >
> > We're considering rendering most of the project with mental-ray- I
> > have not used mental ray with houdini  and I'm having trouble finding
> > a direct source for purchasing MR licenses- or a clear set of notes
> > on how to set up a stand-alone mental ray renderer- ??
> >
> > As always I am grateful for any suggestions!
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jed-

Un saludo
Best Regards