[Sidefx-houdini-list] export to maya & mental ray

Jed Schwartz jed at jedschwartz.com
Wed Jun 11 12:12:44 EDT 2008

We're partnering with a couple of other small studios  on a boatload
of shots for a lage (for us) HD broadcast project. I have a few cross
platform issues to wrangle and hope you guys might be able to offer
some insight.

A couple of our teams with be using houdini, while another is working
exclusively in maya. We're getting really great results importing the
maya files into houdini via fbx-

Is there a reasonably reliable path for exporting houdini scenes so
they can be read into maya- or is this just a one way path?

We're considering rendering most of the project with mental-ray- I
have not used mental ray with houdini  and I'm having trouble finding
a direct source for purchasing MR licenses- or a clear set of notes
on how to set up a stand-alone mental ray renderer- ??

As always I am grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks!

Jed-