[Sidefx-houdini-list] disappearing HDA parameters

Drew Whitehouse Drew.Whitehouse at anu.edu.au
Mon Jun 9 18:34:43 EDT 2008

While people are talking about version control I thought I'd mention
that CVS and Subversion are pretty old hat now with the rise of a new
crop of "distributed" version control systems taking their place. They
are faster and more general than the previous generation. Git and
Mercurial are the current favourites, with each battle tested by some
extremely large projects (Linux kernel, Firefox and OpenSolaris to
mention a few).  I'd plug Mercurial as a candidate for integration
with houdini, it's written in, and scriptable with python and is
stable across all the main platforms, whereas git is weak on the PC,
more complicated to use and a bit more oriented towards the management
of "file content" than files (yep, it's non obvious...) which is
probably not what you'd want for the management of assets.

Here are a few talks that might be of interest. The first one is by
Linus Torvards himself who really goes to town on subversion :-)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2199332044603874737&q=Linus+Git&ei=861NSLajGpCEqgOi_NC2DA

The second is by one of the Mercurial developers ...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7724296011317502612&q=mercurial&ei=uq5NSNODC5CWrgPY3sWTDw

-Drew

--
Drew Whitehouse