[Sidefx-houdini-list] disappearing HDA parameters

paul simpson paul at realisestudio.com
Mon Jun 9 12:19:47 EDT 2008

some excellent points here.  it's funny to see that the conversation quickly
veers into a fully fledged asset tracking/management system though - which i
think is scary.  fwiw, i would rather this exist outside houdini's realm.

back to (my) main point: i can't emphasise enough the need for "houdini
digital assets" (aka OTL's) to have proper package management (read:
versioning, dependencies, packaging).  i agree that there's no need for sesi
to write this from scratch if they can lever external (and platform
agnostic) tools.  why is platform agnositc important (being a die hard linux
user?) because i want some windoze user to be able to export there new uber
rig to the houdini exchange and everyone to be able to download it and run
it without having to worry about what other HDA's are used within said
uber-rig.

this is different (and a subset) of proper cvs/subversion tools.  ie, the
difference between yum/zypper/deb tools and subversion/cvs.  the former
allows us to keep our HDA's under contorl - the latter - whole
shots/jobs/projects aligned...

now, how do we all reach some kind of simple consensus and hopefully give
sesi a clear message what we all need?  i would really love to see this in
the next major version (and have been asking for 5+ years)  ;-)