[Sidefx-houdini-list] disappearing HDA parameters

Pablo Giménez Pizarro pablogipi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 15:15:43 EDT 2008

El 07/06/2008, a las 1:04, Gene Dreitser escribió:

> I've never used Temerity, but I must admit that I prefer the idea of
> a 'different tool' (read:something other then your DCC app)
> controlling and managing all these aspects of production (imagine:
> path issues, user authentication, database access, platforms, gamma,
> etc etc etc).
Of course if you need a complete full featured tool for management and
all that things the this implies, a separate tool is needed.

> I believe that SESI could do a great job of building an excellent
> frame work for this toolkit, but truth be told, I'd rather they
> spent their time doing what they do best, which is continuing to
> build a kick-ass tool set for 3d -- remember everything has a cost.
> Would you prefer SESI allocate resources to this, or spend their
> time optimizing and improving on DOPs/SHOPs/VOPs/etc?
Again it depends the market you are targeting.
Small houses don´t need full featured tools, only something that ease
your life a little and give something that works out of the box.
And sometimes this is more important that a great operator.
Finally I can see to kind of customers:
- Those that needs a good API in the HDK and python that allows you to
hooks and control almost everything into the tool. These are obviously
the big brothers.
- And those that don't have a big infraestructure and needs something
out of the box that solves some of the basics problems.
In the second group you have a lot of potential customers. And these
tools we are dicussing definitelly add value for these customers.