[Sidefx-houdini-list] disappearing HDA parameters

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 16:57:04 EDT 2008

I'm with Paul Simpson and co. on this one.

We're a big studio, and this has been a big problem for us. If it
wasn't for the fact that we could leverage pipeline code written by a
team of 15-20 dedicated programmers to manage our HDA's, it would have
been a bigger problem. It would have been great if SESI could have
provided something out of the box, but as has been argued for many
things in the past, generally studios want to do things in their own
way, and until there's an obvious "please everyone" solution - nothing
happens.

The kind of specification that Paul provides above has been broken out
before in alpha forums etc. and would make a great starting point for
SESI. With galleries shaping up as a good parm saving compliment for
HDAs, HDA's have tremendous potential as a pipeline mechanism with a
comprehensive manager. We don't even use hipfiles anymore, but to get
to the point where we could do those kinds of dynamic builds from the
pipeline we had to do a lot of parameter and HDA management systems.
I think production houses everywhere would be pleased to get a little
more pipeline out of the box from their "pipeline in a box" - aka
Houdini.

v11 !!

Cheers