[Sidefx-houdini-list] disappearing HDA parameters

Michael Goldfarb goldfarb at coredp.com
Thu Jun 5 16:28:26 EDT 2008

I think we're confusing /building/ HDAs with /using/ HDAs

in building HDAs, Houdini will make backups for you...and as far as that
goes you're on your own...it's like hip files...if you break something,
it's up to you to have a good workflow to save your awn ass...

when /using/ HDAs there are (at least it seems to me) two camps...
1 - HDAs are built (by whoever) and dropped into a dir somewhere and
people working on /shots/ instantiate them and at that moment become
'owners' of those instances - they break them open and mess around and
do whatever they need to to get the shot done (fair enough)...
I SHUDDER at the thought of working this way...once you crack an HDA
open you are: on your own and outside the pipeline...and the show is now
dependent on an individual who may or may not know what they are doing
and dependent on the communication skills of that person. just too many
things can/do go wrong in this situation.

2 - HDAs are built with some fundamental, and IMO vital,
considerations...among then are compatability, universal applicability,
centralized management/control, standardization of features/UI...
this is harder and takes more time but is worth it...
if an artist needs a change in the features or behavior of the tool he
or the original make of the HDA makes those changes (in a way that is
non-destructive to others) then it is published as a new version...this
way he can use the new version with the needed changes but everyone else
can use the old version...etc ctc

if SESI has some time to devote to this I'd suggest it as a subject for
Jeff's Old School Blog...but as Rachael said, SESI make 3D software not
pipeline software...