[Sidefx-houdini-list] disappearing HDA parameters

Pablo Giménez Pizarro pablogipi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 15:38:34 EDT 2008

El 04/06/2008, a las 21:13, Michael Goldfarb escribió:

> this has come up a few times on od[force]
> otl management is /extremely/ important...and once you get them under
> control their power really starts to rock...
> personally I'd rather see SESI spending time on other things rather
> than
> building pipeline tools that only a very few people, mostly those
> not in
> a studio environment, will ever use.
> we built a python based system that versions otls in about 2 man
> weeks...and even an hscript system could be done in a short amount of
> time...
I am agree with you, but many small studios don't have nobody with
enough knowledge about python or whatever programming language to
build this system.
As you have said hda with a good versioning rocks, I am taking about
to put all of this power in the small houses, with limitations of
course, we are not taking about complex systems somethng easy that
allows you to have some control of all of your hda versions.
For example XSI have some support to create simple data bases of your
assets, in some part hda are more powerful but to have for example a
simple interface to something based on sqlite (http://www.sqlite.org/)
that give you support to have some order of the different versions of
the hda defined your otls.
I am only guessing about sqlite, not saying that this should be the
solution, but the HDA gives the first tool to pack your assets in any
other  3D platform, so it makes sense to have something to manage all
of your otls files and the hdas defined there.