[Sidefx-houdini-list] disappearing HDA parameters

Pablo Giménez Pizarro pablogipi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 14:53:39 EDT 2008

El 04/06/2008, a las 17:01, Michael Goldfarb escribió:

> this seems to happen if the HDA in the hip file has parameters with
> channels but them the definition of the HDA changes and those
> parameters
> are removed...Houdini tries to retain the animation on those
> parameters
> by creating spare channels.

For me the big problem is to sincronize HDA along a pipeline when you
modify them and keep everything clean.
But this is more or less the same problem when you are coding, and  at
least is the same thing, but in my opnion is still much more easy than
working and manteining scripts and plugins.
I think that SESI needs to polish more the versioning, but if you have
an order in all the backups of your otls you can solve many of the
sincro problems.
Is true that at the beggining of the H9 there were some problems with
the parameters definitions in the HDAs, I remembered myself  making
again some HDA from zero many times,  but almost all were solved
around the last january, at least in my experience.
And there are many smart ways to keep the versioning, but still it
needs a more smooth and general solution for this problem.
Discussing with some people from SESI I proposed them to develop
something similar to a control system, easy for  the middle users,
maybe not so complex and full featured like CVS or SVN, but a tool
that helps people to keep the versioning of your tools in a easy way,
not using hscript or python commands, useful for more complex
pipelines but not so useful for small studios with not so complicated
infraestructure.