[Sidefx-houdini-list] stability of mantra on multi core machines?

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Tue Jul 29 13:20:09 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 13:10, Sean Lewkiw wrote:
> That's really weird.  We use mantra heavily here and don't have any
> freezing/crashing problems.  One thing I did find was that if you don't
> set your "-j" flag to something reasonable, (if you have more than one
> render or other activity on the machine), Houdini will go ahead and grab
> all the threads, and your renders will grind to a halt, (and I imagine,
> crash eventually).  We don't have any 8-core machines though.

	It's all we use, and we have some 8 core systems on the grid.  The problem
isn't as predominent as seems to be indicated in this thread(for us anyway).
We're all-Linux, don't know if that matters, plus so far 9.5 doesn't seem to
have exhibited the problem.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada
There is no reciprocity. Men love women, women love children, children love
hamsters.
  - Alice Thomas Ellis