[Sidefx-houdini-list] stability of mantra on multi core machines?

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 22:06:33 EDT 2008

Yes unfortunately, when you reach the memory limit of your machines you get
random fails, and mantr exists only with a segfault, very bad.
I has a similar problems some months ago and I rememberd struggling myself
trying to find the problem and it was the memory, nothing else, but because
Mantra exists without any info you can waste a lot of time trying to figure
out what is happening.
And also, rendering with 4 cores seems pretty solid, with eith cores I have
experimented problems in early versions if mantra 9 and 9.1.
Cheers

2008/7/28 paul simpson <paul at realisestudio.com>

> for linux: man ulimit
>
> 2008/7/28 Guillaume Laforge <guillaume at alamaison.fr>
>
> > We've got the memory limit problem here when rendering fur procedurals !
> > If the memory is closed to the limit, frames randomly crash.
> > As a workaround we set a time bomb on our rendermanager to re-render
> > those bad frames. The same frames can crash twice or more and then
> > render fine.
> > I don't know if there is a way to set a memory limit in Mantra as in
> > Mental Ray ?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Guillaume Laforge | la maison <http://www.alamaison.fr>
> > my new little blog : http://frenchdog.wordpress.com/