[Sidefx-houdini-list] stability of mantra on multi core machines?

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Mon Jul 28 09:19:19 EDT 2008

On Saturday 26 July 2008 16:45, Michael K O'Brien wrote:
> Anyone else out there rendering multiple frames on Linux with a multi-core
> machine?

	H9.1 mantra had some problems with large numbers of threads, especially I
found when rendering to mplay, as opposed to rendering on the grid(which
would be hard to track down as a threading problem but we rarely had
suddenly 'dead' frames).  We haven't had time to fully beat up 9.5 yet, but
so far seems more stable in the interactive threading.

	As a rule, though, I agree, mantra rendering is one of those 'perfect'
threading apps that really will burn on as many cycles as you give it once
the buckets start getting generated...

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada
There is no reciprocity. Men love women, women love children, children love
hamsters.
  - Alice Thomas Ellis