[Sidefx-houdini-list] stability of mantra on multi core machines?

Simon Kapeniak szymon.kapeniak at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 17:04:52 EDT 2008

This issue rises frequently,  depending on a scene content Mantra handles
multi-core perfectly (scaling almost linearly as you said) or refuses to
work at all. Personally I choose the working schema
(multi-thread/multi-process) on a
single case base as selecting a proper number of thread seams to have huge
impact on overall render time.

I've found recently that one specific scenario is extremely difficult for
Mantra to handle and I was about to describe it in detail for SESI support
though haven't done it yet

Mantra crashes or freezes to eternity when rendering instances with any ray
tracing calls in shaders in mulithreaded mode. Disabling ether ray tracing
or threading calms down the situation. This behavior was easily reproducible
with all last builds of H9.1. Other issues with instances (like ram
consumption) are likely related to this. Pretty said concerning the overall
beauty of creation instances in Houdini.

Sorry for a side note.

cheers,
Simon.