[Sidefx-houdini-list] How to scatter points based on a probability map

Lucio Flores dogboy_l at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 14:49:03 EDT 2008

Scatter depends on the number of points, so you will get different result, but the distribution will still be the same. Scatter looks at the area of each poly, uses that to find the total area, then looks at each poly, finds the relative area that poly has w.r.t. the area of the full geometry, then scatters that fraction of points onto it. So if you applied your map as a primitive attribute to each poly, then used that attribute in the scatter, you would get the results you want. The more finely tesselated your geometry, the more accurate the results.
Or, if you want to implement it in the hdk, I just explained the algorithm above. But I think it would be easier to use scatter.