[Sidefx-houdini-list] How to scatter points based on a probability map

Ivan DeWolf ivan at martian-labs.com
Tue Jul 22 13:12:33 EDT 2008

scatter your points in 2d using your maps, and then map them onto your geometry.

If you're planning on writing this in the HDK, I would just write an operator
that takes the X-Y coordinates of some geometry and then puts them onto a
UV-mapped peice of geometry. Of course, the same can be set up without using
the HDK, which would probably be better.

Quoting Antoine Durr <antoine at floqfx.com>:

> Or, just scatter a bunch of points, and test each point according to
> a rand() function with the map as a threshold.
>
> -- Antoine
>
> On Jul 22, 2008, at 4:14 AM, Jaideep Khadilkar wrote:
>
> > Hi......
> >

> > I want to scatter some points on a plane, depending on a density
> > map or
> > probability map. The map will be black and white, white is probability
> > 1 and black probability 0. Now I want to know the method or algorithm
> > to do this. I know that, we can use attribute in scatter sop, but
> > the detail depends on the number of points in the source geometry.
> > I want to do it using map.
> > Another method to do that is using fur sop, and keeping only the
> > root points. But I want to use the method in my own HDK, so if you
> > can provide the algorithm, I can code it.
> >
> > ----Jaideep
> >

> >       Explore your hobbies and interests. Go to http://
> > in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/
>
> -- Antoine