[Sidefx-houdini-list] alpha for particles in mantra?

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 18:05:55 EDT 2008

To make something similar to render your particles as disk, and have tons of
them semitransparent to get the wispy effect yo ucan render your particle as
points or use the  Render POP or Ptimitive SOP to render them as disks,
spheres, tubes, etc ....
Then you send to the render lots of prmitives, that is really eficent, and
playing with the alpha, for example using the Color POP, and with the
velocity motion blur in mantra you can get great results.
Hope this helps

2008/7/20 Michael O'Brien <mobrien at pixar.com>:

> Hola~
>

> One thing I find interesting is that in the FX Tools both wispy smoke and
> heavy smoke have rough geometric cages with shading applied to make it look
> like smoke. At Pixar, we would render heavy smoke using a volumetric
> approach and wispy smoke as using a ton of nearly transparent particles as
> disks. Do people render large numbers of transparent disks in Mantra? In
> other words, is it that my approach is wrong?
>
> MO
>
> --
> Michael K O'Brien                               Production Engineering
> Pixar                                                mobrien at pixar.com
>
> REMY: What is that?
> EMILE: I don't really know.
> REMY: You don't know... and you're eating it.

Un saludo
Best Regards
Pablo Giménez