[Sidefx-houdini-list] alpha for particles in mantra?

Christopher Chapman chap at rhythm.com
Mon Jul 21 16:42:57 EDT 2008

Hi Michael,

I'm working with sprites currently to create a heat distortion fx and am
using a material that combines vex_layered surface and the sprite mantra
procedural and get my color and alpha no prob. Not sure which tutorial
yer following from the sidefx site, but double chk that you have the
sprite POP pointing to your material. I also always write the particles
to disk and then read them back in to render them with a file SOP. The
OBJ where I read them in I assign the material and it's all good to go.
FWIW, I've always used a raymarching volume render for any kinda smoke
fx both here at R+H and at DD. Using sprites are great for the thin
non-volumetric stuff like heat distortion, but I prefer the control I
get with a volumetric approach and the flexibility to go from dense
self-shadowed smoke to thin and wispy, not to mention lighting/shadowing
and holding out other non-smoke objects. Feel free to shoot me a sample
hip file if yer still stuck.

Best,

Chris