[Sidefx-houdini-list] camera projection mapping

Phil Spicer PSpicer at bournemouth.ac.uk
Tue Jul 15 05:23:09 EDT 2008

Hi Jed,

1. ensure any projected image is a .rat image (this output type can be created using mplay)
2. In the Mantra Output Driver set a Output > Pixel Filter value of Gaussian 1.5 1.5
3. In the Mantra Output Driver set a Render > Rendering Engine value of Ray Tracing

This will ensure any projected image match the back plate source in terms of pixel quality. Without these values and settings specified, camera projected images will appear 'soft' in the rendered image. Tiff images for example will not project correctly, nor will a Gaussian value of 2 2.

When you project through a camera or a light, you get image curvature at the edges of the projection. If you need to correct this, you can create a custom VOP Surface Shader which takes Global P and converts it to Normal Device Coordinates using the To NDC VOP. The output of this VOP can then be utilised to drive the U and V inputs of the projection Color Map VOP (which is then assigned as a Material after the UV Texture SOP).

Kind regards,

Phil.

http://www.youtube.com/NCCADigitalFX